or a democrat for that matter...
here's a little background on my politics...
growing up in puerto rico, politics don't revolve around conservatives and liberals - it is along the lines of political status. the official name of the island is "estado libre asociado de puerto rico" which literally means "associated free state of puerto rico" (which in itself means rich port). this associated free state is commonly translated as "commonwealth" and if we are really honest with ourselves, no one knows what that means, in english or spanish. so the government that has been under united states power since 1898 has gone through a military government to an appointed government to an elected government in the 40's and the current state in 1952 which functions de facto as a colony. the three options that people choose to take sides politically are either statehood, redefined commonwealth (no, we still don't know what that would mean either), or independence.
all that to say - i've always had a liberal flare to my thougts and actions. they have never had anything to do with politics in my paradigm. three years ago i moved up here to illinois and all of the sudden i've been categorized as a "democrat" when i really had no clue what that meant, or what being a republican meant. the bigger shock came when it seemed that nationwide the thought/reaction/default was that if you are a christian you are a republican.
so, not only was i kind of put in a box politically, but the greater body was placing me in the "wrong" box for a christian. what the hell had just happened?!?!
thankfully i learned pretty quickly that the expression/movement that called itself "christian = republican" is more of a loud voice than a huge mass, even if it feels like it. it still very disconcerting in my mind when republicans call people "liberals" intending it to be an insult. that has never been an insult in my brain. when someone calls me a liberal, i tend to say "thank you" or "you know me well."
what's so wrong about being a liberal?!?!
yes, i voted for kerry and for obama (honestly, though, who really voted for keyes?!?) but i know that has nothing to do with my relationship with the trinity. that people voted for bush have nothing to do with their relationship with the trinity. or so i thought.
i got sick to my stomach during the past election when the overwhelming reaction was that the christian groups and their concern for moral values were the reason for the republican sweep. i don't want to believe that as true. i would rather believe that people voted for whoever they thought was the best candidate for the position without feeling obliged or responsible or fearful of the "what would people think/this is what a christian would do" mentality. sadly, it appears to be that a lot of people voted along the bandwagon. and then i hear about the christian right about to start lobbying for god knows what.
if you know me, you know that i don't like to be put into boxes. it feels like politically i've been shoved into one.
fyi: JESUS WASN'T A REPUBLICAN!!! OR A DEMOCRAT!!! the reason why people are in politics and office (hopefully) is because they love their country and they want to do what's best for it. how about we use our very own critical thinking skills and start making decisions for ourselves instead of voting one way or the other because "that's what i've always done" or "that's how i was raised."
please, all republicans and democrats and independents (where i really consider myself in) - question your values, your thoughts your beliefs - you'll learn so much - you'll grow so much. and no matter where you are at - questions your faith, your relationship with the trinity, or lack of - you might loose it for a while... that would probably be the best thing that happens to you.
in the meantime - don't judge or put people in boxes because of their political thoughts... i don't think jesus would've approached the people of his time wondering if they were liberals or conservatives or from the far right. it seems that his approach was all about love... hum... what a concept... let's try that one on our daily lives and see how our outlook might change for the better.
Saturday, November 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so grateful to call you my friend! You put into words everything that I was feeling regarding the political issue. Thanks for this...it was fabulous!
Hey Vivian-
I agree! I would register as an independent but then you can't vote in primaries... Anyhow- I may find myself on the other side of the "fence"? - don't know what the right word is! - Voted for Bush etc. but I agree in encouraging people to THINK!!! :) I grew up in a non-Christian (almost anti-Christian) home - parents democrats... and you know I feel like I may go insane sometimes the last few months with all on tv & talk radio...
Mainly I want to go insane when I dialogue with people- which I love- and all I hear from them is the same 3 sentences I hear on tv or they hear from their parents. I want to say pretty much exactly as you did... think! "question your values, your thoughts, your beliefs..." Let's use our critical thinking skills in out brains God gave us!
Anyhow - a shout out for thinking...
I think I am going to get my butt blogging... you might have the same frustration I find myself having "don't assume that b/c I am a registered (insert political party here) I agree with/stand for everything my party does!!!"
- Jackie :)
Post a Comment